Thursday, March 20, 2008

Book Review - "The Fountainhead" by Ayn Rand


It has been about two months since I read this book but I have to say I really enjoyed it. I have a couple of friends that recommended Ayn Rand's books to me and I'm glad I listened to them. If you are looking for an easy read this is NOT the book for you. From the first page, the writing is intense and you have to pay very close attention as you read. I really love Any Rand's style of writing. I loved how all the characters that are supposed to be the "heroes" of the story slowly deteriorated throughout the book and in the end it is very clear what lead to all of their demise. I have to say that the main character, Roark, is now one of my favorite characters in all of the literature that I have read. I can't say that I completely understand him but I appreciate his conviction in life. No matter what happened to him he always stood by his core beliefs and did not waver from those.
Although my philosophical views on life differ quite a bit from Ayn Rand's I can still appreciate what she tried to communicate to all of her readers. For my next Ayn Rand book I am planning on reading "Atlas Shrugged". However, I first have to find it at the bookstore or library.

1 comments:

Colleen said...

I love Ayn Rand! I have to say I preferred Atlas Shrugged, but this one was good too. If you want to try a shorter one (and get some insight into where Ayn Rand's extreme social views come from) read We The Living. Probably one of my favorite books.