Sunday, July 5, 2009

Labor of Love







We decided in early spring to work on a family garden this summer. It is at my sister's house and it is huge! Even as we were planting seeds I didn't realize how big this was going to be. It has been a ton of work and a big thank you is owed to Janie and Mark for the use of their land and water and a thank you to my dad for all of his gardening knowledge - plus all of the hard work done by the 3 of them. This is going to be a huge blessing for all of our families in the coming months. I realize that we have a TON of work ahead... I'll keep you posted as we begin canning. If my dad's estimates are correct we may still be canning in December : ) !

3 comments:

Colleen said...

Wow, that is impressive! I finally got around to getting actual garden boxes planted in our little yard this year and here's my grand total:

1 regular tomato plant
1 cherry tomato plant
1 parsley plant
1 basil plant
1 cilantro plant
1 watermelon plant
1 cucumber plant

No canning here, but you have to start somewhere, right? Yours looks like a MAJOR project! Nice work!

J+S said...

I love getting fresh produce and herbs from our garden - it's such a great feeling of accomplishment! Your family will love yours. Good job!

Brad.Lindsey.Lexi.Rowen said...

We have a family garden at my parents house, in addition to our little garden here. I love canning and get really excited just thinking about it. I can't wait to start making salsa (YUMMMM!) and jams again. Good job with the garden!