Saturday, February 2, 2008

The Kite Runner - Book Review


A few months ago I went to dinner with two friends, Jenifer and Colleen. On my way home from the restaurant I had myself convinced that I was a loser. All that I had been doing in life was working and being a mom. They had such great things they had each been working on and I felt way behind them both (not to worry, I came to my senses and realized how great I am).

The thing that I was most distraught about were the books they were discussing and I had not read any of them. This is not like me. I typically read a book or two a month and I had not read any for awhile. So, I made a committment to start reading again and I have read several books since that time.

My most recent read was "The Kite Runner". I was a little hesitant to read this book because it has been out for awhile and I had some pre-conceived notions regarding it. Honestly, I found myself loving this book. I read it in a couple of days and enjoyed every minute of it. What I didn't expect from reading this book was the new understanding/appreciation I would gain for the people of Afghanistan and, well, for the Middle East. The author truly helps you visualize the culture of these people and the beautiful land they live in. I would and will recommend this book to anyone that is looking for something wonderful to read.

3 comments:

Colleen said...

Ha ha! And here I always come away feeling like I'm the loser! :)

I can't believe how old Addy looks in that picture! What, is she like 12 now? Holy cow.

I'm glad you liked "Kite Runner." I thought it was really amazing. I didn't write a review on it because it pretty much just left me speechless. When I read something like "Twilight," I think - Man, I could totally write a book at least this good! Then I read something like "Kite Runner" and think - Man, I really have nothing important or profound to say.

J+S said...

Laura, I'm so glad that you have started a blog! It will be fun to keep in touch this way.

I'm glad you enjoyed the Kite Runner. I loved this book. I think you would really like his next book, A Thousand Splendid Suns. I loved loved loved that one!

I think it's funny that you came away feeling like a loser, I think all of us have a little of that in us. I was going to write exactly what Colleen said! All I can say is, "ditto!"

Brad.Lindsey.Lexi.Rowen said...

Laura,
I have heard so much about this book. I am going to get me a copy this week. Then we can go see the movie together and do some much needed catching up. I miss ya!!! Love, Lindsey
PS Cute blog!